The majority of concerts take place in the Michaelmas and Lent terms. Usually all main ensembles take part in at least one of these concerts, with many ensembles performing multiple times.
Some of our concerts in the past year have included
- The Big Swing, held both in Michaelmas and Lent terms in town, featuring the Swing Group and the Big Band
- The Concerto Concert, held in Lent term on Campus, featuring the String Orchestra, the Choir and the Symphony Orchestra
- The Annual Christmas Concert, held at Lancaster Cathedral
- LUBDS Annual Charity Showcase, held on Campus, featuring the Wind Band
- An Evening with ULMS Brass and Wind Bands held in the Great Hall on campus in the Lent term
Finally all of our main ensembles and the majority of our small groups come together for our Annual Summer Showcase, held in the Great Hall on the Saturday Week 9 in Summer Term. This is the biggest event of the year for ULMS, and as such many hours of rehearsal and organisation go into running it every year. Each ensemble brings something different to the concert, resulting in an exciting and varied programme year on year.
Some of our ensembles take part in annual competitions around the UK. Last year both the Big Band and the Brass Band entered such competitions. The Big Band took part in the Sunderland Jazz Festival in March, receiving glowing compliments from the judges, whilst the Brass Band took part in both the annual UniBrass competition and the Whit Friday Marches. At UniBrass the band achieved both 4th place overall and Most Improved, whilst at the Whit Friday Marches they achieved the prize of Most Entertaining at Friezland, having dressed up as zombies marching to the tune of Thriller!
To enquire about any concerts, please contact the society via email@example.com