The majority of concerts take place in the Michaelmas and Lent terms. Usually all main ensembles take part in at least one of these concerts, with many ensembles performing multiple times.
Some of our concerts in the past year have included:
- ‘Hark the Herald Angels Swing’, held in Michaelmas, featuring the Swing Group and the Big Band. Most recently, this has taken place in Barker House Farm in Cartmel College.
- The Concerto Concert, held in Lent term on Campus, featuring the String Orchestra, the Choir and the Orchestra.
- The Annual Christmas Concert, held at Lancaster Priory
- LUBDS Annual Charity Showcase, held on Campus, featuring the Wind Band and Big Band
- An Evening with ULMS Brass and Wind Bands held in the Great Hall on campus in the Lent term
Finally all of our main ensembles and the majority of our small groups come together for our Annual Summer Showcase, held in the Great Hall on the Saturday Week 9 in Summer Term. This is the biggest event of the year for ULMS, and as such many hours of rehearsal and organisation go into running it every year. Each ensemble brings something different to the concert, resulting in an exciting and varied programme year on year.
Some of our ensembles take part in annual competitions around the UK. Last year the Brass Band took part in UniBrass competition, where they placed 7th in the shield section at Unibrass with an impressive 114 points! The Brass Band went on to compete at Whit Friday where everyone got into the spirit and dressed up to the theme of the Jungle Book! Here they placed 32nd out of 37 bands in the village of Friezland and an impressive 46 out of 67 in the village of Delph. Whit Friday competes against brass bands of all nature – not just student bands so these results were very well deserved considering they were up against bands much older and with much more experience than them.
To enquire about any concerts, please contact the society via firstname.lastname@example.org